My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Tuesday 7 July 2015

The Journey Begins. .

Up early today to catch the 6.35 am Eurostar from Ashford to Paris Gare du Nord, and my first calamity.. .at the check-in the security man, more alert than I was at 6am, located and confiscated my penknife, alleging it was a dangerous weapon not allowed on eurostar trains. Grr.

The train was about 30 mins late arriving in Paris, which is about normal. . but I had all day so it wasn't a problem. I wandered down towards the Seine, stopping en route to buy a new penknife. . at least the blade is sharp, and the new one weighs less too. Look on the bright side.

Then a very nice lunch at Rosemary, a bistro in the Marais district. TripAdvisor says it is the 5th best restaurant in Paris, not bad from about 14,000 of them. Also cheap at €13 for two courses

I've never really liked Paris all that much. It's too big, too dirty. Quite seedy in some parts.  The area south of the Seine, however, is very pleasant with several interesting gardens and buildings, such as those below.

I will report tomorrow on the overnight train journey to hendaye. .


Place de la Republique
The Seine
The Grande Mosque
A statue of Lamarck, inventor (it says) of the concept of evolution
The Palais and gardens of Luxembourg


The Pantheon, where important parisians are interred. 

1 comment: